An ingrown hair occurs when a hair that has been waxed, plucked or shaved grows sideways into your skin, instead of towards the surface. It can also occur when dead skin cells clog hair follicles. What we see on the outside, is a red or raised bump, which can be itchy or uncomfortable. Fortunately, they are rarely a cause for concern.
To avoid ingrown hairs, try these:
- Wash your face with an exfoliating cleanser, to remove dead skin cells
- Improve your shaving technique – pulling the skin taut while shaving cuts the hair too short
- Make sure you rinse your razor blade after every stroke, to avoid bacterial spread
- Use a lubricant to shave – you should never shave a dry face!
- Apply a moisturiser after shaving, to keep the skin and facial hair hydrated and soft
For problematic skins or persistent ingrown hairs, permanent hair removal through IPL or electrolysis offers lasting results, or you could try a chemical hair removal product, like Hair Free Growth Inhibitor Gel.
A shaving rash, also known as razor burn, occurs because of bad shaving habits, like a blunt razor, not using a lubricant, or shaving in the opposite direction to the way the hair grows. The outcome is a burning sensation, often accompanied by small red bumps, itchiness and tenderness. It can also be caused by using shaving products that irritate the skin.
We highly recommend Biomedical Emporium’s Shave Relief Serum, for soothing and healing any painful rashes caused by shaving.
Call the team at Professional Skin Care Lab if you would like advice on our skin care products or treatments, to get your manly skin looking GREAT! Remember, you can now shop online and have your products delivered.